Geotechnics Graduate Certificate Program
The Geotechnics Graduate Certificate program is designed to provide formalized engineering education to practitioners in geology, geological engineering, mining engineering and geotechnical engineering.
The following courses (or equivalents) will be required for admittance to the program:
- GEO ENG 1150 Geology for Engineers
- GEO ENG 2605 Statics and Mechanics of Geological Materials
- MIN ENG 4823 Rock Mechanics I
- GEO ENG 5415 Soil Mechanics For Geoprofessionals
The following courses (or equivalents) are required courses:
- GEO ENG 5381 Int. Subsurface Hydrology and Cont. Trans. Mechs
- GEO ENG 5471 Rock Engineering
- GEO ENG 5441 Engineering Geology and Geotechnics
- CIV ENG 5715 Intermediate Soil Mechanics or MIN ENG 6842 Rock Mechanics II
By consent of the program coordinator, deficiency and other courses can be substituted, provided that they are 3000- or 4000-level courses. In addition students will be able to take 1000-level deficiency courses (prerequisites) online where available, but these will not count toward the certificate.
Students must have an average cumulative grade of 3.0 (B-grade) or better in the four certificate courses, and complete the requirements in 3 years or less to obtain their certificate.
Students successfully completing their certification program with a grade of B or better in all Certificate classes will be eligible to be admitted to the Masters of Engineering (M.E.) Program in Geotechnics, and the certificate courses will be counted towards the M.E. degree. In this case no GRE score will be required for admission to the M.E. program.
By consent of the program coordinator, for the certificate program, the following substitutions can be made:
- GEO ENG 5332 Subsurface Hydrology for GEO ENG 5381
- MIN ENG 4823 Rock Mechanics I for MIN ENG 6842
- GEO ENG 5415 Soil Mechanics for Geoprofessionals for CIV ENG 5715
Other substitutions may also be approved.
- Request Information
- Ready to Apply?
Haven't decided if you want to apply yet? No worries. Just click the Request Information button and fill out the form. We'll respond to your request within 24 hours. You can always email email@example.com or call 573-341-6714 with any questions.
Ready to Apply?
Dr. Norbert H. Maerz
Missouri University of
Science and Technology
214 A Rock Mechanics
Rolla, MO 65409-0660
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com